Monday, January 5, 2009

A lifetime of memories in 10 Tubs

Yesterday I rolled up my sleeves and took down all of the downstairs Christmas decorations. It's always a little sad to pull everything down. The holiday season comes and goes in a flash, and since so much activity is squeezed into a few short weeks, there's hardly any time to just sit and enjoy all the decorations.

My lighted Christmas Village is still alive and well in the spare room upstairs until I muster up enough energy to handle taking down my "urban sprawl". Honestly, I haven't taken that down because I still want to enjoy it for a while.

I have all of my Christmas decorations stored in 10 plastic tubs, including our Christmas tree, which takes up 2 tubs. When I start to decorate, I open each tub and welcome not only my decorations, but the memories that go along with them. Each ornament has special meaning, every table decoration, a story. I relish each memory like an old friend. During the course of the holidays, new memories are made, and along with the new memory, an ornament or decoration marks its place and joins the rest of the times that make this season so special.

I guess that's why taking down the decorations is so bittersweet. I spend weeks planning menus, months making gifts and after all of the plans and preparations, it's over in a 24 hour period of time! Just when the party starts getting good, it's over. Don't get me wrong; I look forward to the new year and all of the challenges and opportunities that come with it. I just wish I had the ability to slow down the pace during the holidays so I can reminisce at a comfortable speed. But until I figure out how to do that, I'll just say "so long" to my lifetime of memories that live in 10 tubs.

No comments: